Fig ketchup goes well with: squab, game birds, potatoes.
2 T cooking oil
1 onion (chopped)
1 T garlic (minced)
1 T ginger (grated or minced)
2 T tomato paste
1 c wine (white wine)
2 c apple juice
1 lb fig
1⁄2 c vinegar (rice wine vinegar)
1 t salt (to taste)
1 t sugar
3 T agar-agar
- In a medium sauce pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and cook the onion until soft, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and ginger and cook an additional 3 minutes. Mix in the tomato paste, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Deglaze with the wine. Continue to cook until it is almost completely evaporated, add in the apple juice and figs.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
- Puree the mix and season to taste with the vinegar, salt and sugar. Strain and set the liquid aside.
- Mix the agar agar with 2 cups of the reserved liquid. Allow to sit for 12 minutes, then heat to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Fold the two mixes together and chill. This will turn into a jelly, place this into a blender and puree until smooth
1 hour, 15 minutes