Besides using it as a simple spread for toast, serve fig preserve with strong flavored cheeses or a condiment for pork recipes.
- Place figs in a bowl. Add the boiling water and let them stand for 15 minutes.
- Drain the hot water, rinse the figs with cold water and drain again.
- Heat up 1 cup water, the sugar and lemon slices in a pan. Simmer for 10 minutes. Discard lemon slices.
- Add the figs to the syrup and simmer until they are transparent. If necessary, remove figs and boil syrup until thickened.
- Cover figs with thickened syrup and let the preserve stand at room temperature overnight.
Use firm figs.
It is easy to double, even quadruple, this recipe and can the excess fig preserve. If you attempt to do so, simmer figs in syrup until they are transparent just 2 cups at a time, remove and process other batch. You'll get better results. Process 8 oz jars for 10 minutes in the pressure canner.