A tasty, sweet and soft European tradition, now with a Central American recipe.
- Heat a pie plate or flan pan to 200º F.
- In a saucepan begin to heat 1/3 cup of sugar and start stirring when it turns into a caramel.
- Remove the pie plate (or flan pan) from the oven and quickly pour the sugar into it, rolling it around to cover the bottom as well as the sides. Wear oven mitts! It will be hot.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs with the remaining sugar then add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan, over the hardened caramel, the put the dish into a bigger pie plate.
- Fill the space in between the two pie plates with boiling water then bake it all at 325º F for 50 minutes.
- Cool and refrigerate for 2 hours.
To remove the flan from the pan, cut around the edges, put a plate on top then flip the flan onto the plate and serve.