There are as many recipes for coconut rice as tropical countries. This one has Indian, Thai and Vietnamese influences.
2 T cooking oil (nut oil)
1 onion (chopped, red onion)
10 oz rice (long grain)
2 c coconut milk
1 1⁄2 c broth (vegetable broth)
1 t turmeric (ground, or 1 tablespoon fresh, grated)
2 clove (whole)
1 pce cinnamon (3 inch long stick)
2 lf bay leaf
3 oz almond (toasted)
- In a large, non-stick skillet, heat the oil and cook the onion for a few minutes.
- Add the turmeric, stir and cook for a further minute. Then add the rice, give it a good stir and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring to a quick boil. Add the cloves, bay leaves and cinnamon stick and immediately reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and allow to cook on very low for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and all liquid absorbed.
- Season with soy sauce and sprinkle with toasted almonds.