This French apple cake is OK for a vegetarian, not for a vegan one.
1 lb apple (cooking apples, cored and chopped)
1 c flour (self raising flour)
1 t baking powder
1 1⁄6 c sugar (superfine sugar, 2/3 cup for cake, 1/2 cup for topping)
6 T milk (soy milk for a vegetarian recipe)
4 T butter (melted, or vegetable oil)
1 t nutmeg
6 T margarine
1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Grease a 9 inch round cake pan, a deep one, and line with waxed paper.
- Place the chopped apples on the bottom of the pan.
- Place flour, baking powder, 2/3 cups sugar, milk, butter, nutmeg, and 2 eggs into a food processor. Beat until smooth.
- Pour the smooth batter over the apples, use the back of a spoon to smooth out the top, bake for 40-45 minutes. It should be a light golden color.
- While cake is cooking, prepare the topping. Cream sunflower margarine, 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla extrac together with the remaining egg. Remove the cake from your oven, and spoon the topping over it.
- Return cake to oven and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes. The cake should be a golden brown color. Allow cake to cool, and turn it out before dusting with the confectioners sugar.
Dust with confectioner's sugar.
You can replace the apples with a number of other hard fruits, or raspberries.