Chocolate dissolves much better in water than milk. That is why making a water-chocolate paste is the first step. This chocolate paste will mix perfectly with the milk.
- Place chocolate and water in a small saucepan and heat over very low heat.
- Cover the pan and let chocolate soften until it is just melted.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and beat chocolate into a smooth paste.
- While chocolate melts, heat milk until it boils in a different saucepan.
- Add a little of the warm milk, about 6 tablespoons, to the chocolate paste to dilute it. Then add remaining milk, stirring constantly.
- Pour into mugs.
Substitute chocolate with the same amount of sweet or semi sweet chocolate chips.
Alternatively, heat 2 cups milk in the microwave up to boiling pint then place chocolate and water in a small bowl, microwave on low until chocolate is just melted. Proceed as in the normal recipe.
If using bitter chocolate, add sugar.