Easy recipe for fried chicken served the traditional way, with gravy. The other popular accompaniment are biscuits.
- Season flour with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste. Drain chicken pieces and coat lightly with the flour.
- Brown bacon in a skillet until all fat is released and the bacon is very crisp. Remove and drain excess fat on kitchen paper. Keep warm.
- On low heat, fry chicken in the bacon fat left in the skillet. Cook until brown and tender. Drain excess fat on kitchen paper and keep warm while preparing the gravy.
- Remove fat from the skillet leaving only about 2 Tbs.
- Brown flour for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and heat, stirring continuously, until thickened.
- Add Tabasco and season. Simmer for3-4 minutes.
Crumble the cooked bacon over the fried chicken pieces and servethe warm gravy on the side.
To prepare the chicken, place the chicken pieces in your choice of container, pour in 2 cups of milk and cover with film. Leave to soak in the fridge overnight or from morning to evening.
To coat evenly the chicken pieces with seasoned flour, place flour, salt and pepper in a clean plastic bag, close with one hand and shake slightly to mix. Add the drained chicken pieces to the bag, keep the end closed with your hand and shake until all the chicken is coated.