For a traditional American treat, bake some gingerbread.
1⁄4 c molasses
1⁄2 T butter
1⁄2 c flour (all purpose)
1⁄4 c sugar
1 t baking soda
1⁄2 t vanilla extract
mixed spice (ground clove, ginger and cinnamon)
- Separate the eggs and beat the yolks over heat until thickened. Add molasses and butter and mix well.Finally, incorporate the flour.
- Then, beat the whites in a separate bowl until they're foamy and add the sugar.
- Mix the two bowls together and fold gently.
- Bake at 375° F * (177° C) for 10 minutes in a pan where the gingerbread batter is about 1/2 inch thick. A 6 in x 8 in pan will do nicely.
- Test with a toothpick or by pressing lightly with a spoon until springy.
- Sprinkle with dashes of the spices.
Gingerbread can be shaped and decorated. Building a gingerbread house is a fun craft to do with children.