Render down any fat removed from the goose and use it to roast potatoes.
- Place any goose fat lumps in a pan and cover generously with cold water.
- Bring it to the boil over a medium heat, then lower the heat and simmer until the fat floats.
- Remove and discard brown lumps, if there is any of those.
- Strain the liquid into a bowl. Let it cool down until it can go into the refrigerator.
- Chill until all fat is solidified and floating at the top.
- Lift off the solidified fat and melt over a low heat.
- Pour melted goose fat into a screw cap jar. Cool down and store in the refrigerator.
Render down any lumps removed from the bird and store for another time. Use the fat produced while cooking the bird to roast the potatoes for the same meal.
Goose fat roasted potatoes give crisp and crunch, with a soft and juicy core. It is also good to roast other root vegetables.