Sugar coated butter cookies are very well liked in Greece.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, and egg until light and fluffy. Blend in vanilla and almond extracts.
- Add flour mixture to creamed butter and mix until a soft dough has been formed.
- Take 1 teaspoon dough and model with your hands your preferred cookie shape - round, half moon, crescent.
- Place cookies on a baking sheet, keeping them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake on middle rack for about 15 minutes,
- Remove cookies and cool on wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over cookies.
The cookies should be barely brown around the edges.
Although the traditional method seems to roll the cookies in powdered sugar, use a flour sifter or a small colander to sprinkle the powdered sugar on top of the cookies to get an even coat with a reduced calorie count.
To vary the flavor, add 1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds to the soft dough on step 3. Other tried and tested flavorings are rose water, Greek liquor such as ouzo, and lemon or orange zest.