Greek mushrooms are marinated in a Mediterranean herb flavored liquid.
- Make a savory sachet by placing herbs and spices - crushed garlic, peppercorns, coriander seed, bay leaf and dried thyme - into a cheesecloth, tied with kitchen string.
- Place the liquid ingredients - water, olive oil, lemon juice, and celery - in a saucepan, add salt and the savory sachet.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.Add the mushrooms to the pan and simmer for a further 5-6 minutes then remove from heat. Leave the mushrooms to cool in the liquid.
- Once cooled, remove celery and herb sachet.Marinate the mushrooms overnight in the refrigerator.
- Drain and serve over salad leaves, garnished with fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped.
Keep them chilled in the marinade until needed. They mushrooms will last several days in the marinating liquid. Small mushrooms are best. If you only have large ones, cut them into quarters.
Best prepared the day before. Although the actual preparation and cooking time is short, you need to add the time mushrooms will need to cool down, and the marinating the marinating.