The following recipe is a classic Greek salad including tomatoes, Feta cheese, and a lemon, garlic and oregano flavored Greek salad dressing.
Prepare the Greek salad dressing
- Place 2 tablespoons lemon juice, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and oregano in a jar. Whisk together all ingredients.
- Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly, to make a vinaigrette-like dressing.
Prepare the salad
- Place tomatoes in a large salad bowl.
- Add diced cucumber, cut green pepper, sliced green onions, crumbled feta cheese, and olives.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss.
If you prefer a taste closer to vinaigrette, substitute lemon juice with the same amount red wine vinegar.
For a mixed Greek salad, substitute tomatoes with 1/2 head Romaine lettuce, shredded, and 8 oz cherry tomatoes, cut in half.
On a warm day, serve this salad on chilled salad plates.
This Greek salad dressing uses less olive oil than the average for a Greek salad. Although olive oil is a healthy option because not saturated fat, it has calories. If you are on a weight loss diet, it is good to use a little less olive oil.