Grilled tomatoes with fried sage leaves make a flavorsome side dish for your barbecue or roast, or a zesty warm appetizer.
6 tomato (medium sized, cut in half)
6 T parsley (finely chopped, preferably flat leaf parsley)
4 T olive oil (extra virgin olive oil)
3 clv garlic (finely chopped)
15 lf sage (large, fresh sage leaves)
seasoning (salt and pepper to taste)
cooking oil (sunflowwer, or other vegetable oil for frying)
- In a small bowl, mix together the garlic and parsley and season.
- Scoop out most of the seeds from the tomato halves. Fill the tomatoes with the garlic/parsley mixture. Drizzle 1 tsp of olive oil on top of the tomatoes.
- Arrange the tomatoes in a shallow oiled dish and place under the grill for about 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan heat enough sunflower oil to cover the bottom by 1/2 inch.
- Add the sage leaves and fry for 1/2 minute. Using a slotted spoon, remove from the pan and drain on kitchen paper.
- Place on top of the grilled tomatoes and serve immediately.