A juicy omelet Spanish style with cooked ham and a quick, home made tomato sauce. Not all Spanish omelets are made with potatoes..
- Heat 3 Tbs oil in a small pan, cook onion on a low heat until it becomes transparent.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 15 minutes or until become a thick puree. Add ham and cook for 4-5 minutes more.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add tomato and ham mixture.
- Heat 2 Tbs oil in the omelet pan, add the egg combination when the oil is hot and cook for 1-2 minutes. Jiggle the pan to prevent the omelet from sticking to the sides.
- Use a plate or a flat lid to flip over the omelet. Cook 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Slide onto a serving plate.
If you want to make this omelet more festive or you wish to revive any leftover omelet, make omelet au gratin. To prepare it, pour over 1/2 to 3/4 cup light cream or white sauce, sprinkle 2 Tbs grated cheese, top with 1/4 cup fine dry breadcrumbs mixed with 1 Tbs butter; bake in a moderate oven for 15 minutes or until the crumbs turn golden brown. Skip the breadcrumbs if you wish, just cream and grated cheese are great.
See the general guidelines for Spanish omelets.