Any cooked ham can be used but the cherry sauce goes particularly well with Virginia ham with its particular flavor.
3⁄4 lb ham (cooked Virginia ham, sliced)
3 T brown sugar
2 pn cinnamon (ground cinnamon)
4 t corn starch
1 c apple juice
1 T vinegar (best cider vinegar)
1 cn cherries (pitted tart cherries, drained, 16 oz can)
- Heat the oven to 350º F. Wrap the ham in foil and warm in the oven for 30 minutes.
- In a saucepan, mix together the brown sugar, corn starch, cinnamon, apple juice and vinegar.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce boils and thickens. Let it boil for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cherries and cook 4-5 minutes more, or until the cherries are heated through.
- Remove the ham from the oven and distribute on the plates. Ladle a little cherry sauce over the ham and serve.