In Mexico this is often eaten for breakfast but also as a light meal. This is a healthier version which makes a pretty substantial breakfast, lunch or light dinner. Add it to your healthy choices.
- Spray a non stick pan with olive oil spray and gently fry the onion for about 2 minutes, add the garlic and chilli and fry another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and lower heat and simmer sauce for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add a little water to a separate pan and gently poach each egg for 3 to 4 minutes until set. Once cooked, remove the eggs and set aside.
- Heat the tortillas by placing them under a grill or in a hot pan for approximately 30 seconds on each side.
- Place two tortillas on each plate and top with the eggs and tomato sauce mixture and serve immediately.
Poaching takes a little practice at first but it's easy once you get the hang of it. Alternatively, you can use a poaching pan.
Save calories by easily making your own olive oil spray. Mix one part olive oil and 3 parts water to a clean spray bottle and use this mixture for cooking instead of pouring the olive oil straight from the bottle.
If you don't have red chili at hand, dried chili flakes will do. This recipe is dairy free, and gluten free if using gluten-free, pure corn tortillas.