Who doesn't love lasagna? The downside of this delicious dish is that all that cheese, meat and cream isn't great for you (or your waistline). This version is totally skinny, yet simply delicious.
Prepare the filling
- In a large saucepan add the olive oil , onion, celery and carrot and cook over low heat for approximately 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a further one minute. Set aside.
- In a frying pad fry the meat until completely cooked through. Drain away the oil and add to your large pan of onion and vegetables.
- Turn up the heat and add the wine, stir continuously until all the wine has been absorbed. Then add the tomatoes and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and simmer for approximately 30 minutes, until the liquid has reduced.
- Heat the frying pan again and add the zucchini. Char grill for approximately 2 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Do the same thing with the roasted peppers (drain if using jar peppers). Set aside.
Prepare the cheese sauce
- Make the cheese sauce by heating up the milk and nutmeg gently over low heat.
- Mix the corn flour with a little milk in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add this mixture to the milk and nutmeg. Whisk continuously over low heat for approximately 2o to 3 minutes until thickened. Then add the mustard and half of the cheese. Add salt and pepper if necessary.
Now pue it all together
- Take a lasagna dish and start with a layer of meat, then roasted peppers, then more meat, then roasted zucchini, then more meat, finally your four sheets of pasta.
- Now pour your cheese sauce over the top and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes until bubbly. Serve immediately with a side salad.
Whole wheat lasagna sheets have the added benefit of fiber and vitamins that whole grains bring.
By using an extra mature, strong cheddar you'll need much, much less and still get a full flavor.
You can use organic ground turkey as an even leaner alternative to beef, also lower on cholesterol.
Make your own roasted peppers at home.