To enjoy a bit of a great German tradition try some hot mulled wine, known as glühwein. Germany is better known for its white wine than red. But the darker vintage used here also makes for a terrific holiday beverage.
- Heat the wine slowly, being careful to avoid bringing it to a boil.
- Slice the lemon finely and add when the liquid is hot. Then add the sugar and spice.
- Allow the mixture to cool to just above room temperature.
- Serve by pouring into cups through a strainer.
- Top with cardamom or ginger.
Remember, alcohol has a low boiling point. You don't want to accidentally make hot grape juice.
This is one of the Christmas drink recipes from around the world.