A ketchup that goes well with pastrami, venison, or meatballs.
- Using a large heavy bottom sauce pan, heat the oil over a medium-high heat, add onions and caramelize, 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and cook 5 minutes, juices should release.
- Add the huckleberries, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients minus gin if using, and cook over a medium heat until the mixture is thick and reduced by ¾, 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in gin and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Strain and allow to cool.
If you don't have them, substitute huckleberries with blueberries, strawberries, blackberries o any combination of them and the recipe will be just as delicious. Alternativley, make it a mixed berry and huckleberry ketchup.