A popular dessert in India, enjoyed as much in festivals and celebrations as in the traditional Indian table.
- Combine powdered milk, flour, baking powder and ghee and rub together until it resembles breadcrumbs. Bind together with a little milk, if necessary.
- Allow to stand for a few minutes.
- Roll into tiny balls. Make sure the surface is smooth and there are no cracks.
- Deep fry until they get an even brown color.
- Dip in the syrup. Allow juice to penetrate.
- Combine cardamom, sugar and water. Heat until boiling point and simmer for 5 minutes or so - check to see if it threads.
- Keep warm.
Store in a cool place, they will keep for a week or so.
The syrup can be flavored with rose water or saffron.