If you were an Indian mother looking for a suitable meal for your toddler, kitchuri would likely be your choice. it is soft, easily digested and the young ones love the spiced flavor.
- Wash rice and lentils. soak for about 10 minutes in water.
- Heat ghee in a pan over a low heat. Fry onions, garlic and ginger until golden brown.
- Drain the rice and lentil mix and add to the pan. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently. Season with salt and turmeric.
- Pour boiling water to cover by half an inch and get it to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 9-15 minutes, until rice and lentils are cooked.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
Not every lentil will do, if you read an Indian recipe, it will probably ask for masoor dal.
Pair kitchuri with kadhi and you have a complete meat free quick meal.