An important staple in the Irish diet, curds were used for many things. This recipe for lemon curd cheesecake is mild in flavor and comes with a crispy crust.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a flan tin or round cake pan.
- Line the pan with the pie crust & trim off any excess.
- Using a colander drain the juice off the cottage cheese.
- In a medium-size bowl add 1/4 cup sugar & 1/4 cup butter. Mix with a spoon.
- Next add 5 teaspoons flour, lemon rind, lemon juice, egg yolks and cottage cheese. Mix well.
- Pour this filling into the pie crust.
- Rinse the bowl and then proceed to make the topping by adding 1 tablespoon flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, melted, and the beaten egg together. Mix well.
- Spread this on top of the curd layer.
- Bake at 350°F for 1 hour or until the top is lightly browned and slightly firm.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Allow cheesecake to cool slightly before serving.
To add variety to this recipe, you could add a splash of Irish Cream, a half teaspoon of cinnamon or nutmeg and even some crushed nuts if you like. Swap the lemon for an orange for a totally different flavor. People could add toppings to their slices. From pre-made lemon or blueberry pie filling; to fresh fruit such as kiwi and cherries. All of them are delicious!