Jelly donuts make a great dessert or snack for your Hanukkah celebration or for any other occasion. This recipe takes time to prepare but it is worth it.
- Add the milk, water, beaten egg, melted butter, sugar, bread flour, salt, nutmeg and yeast into a food processor. As soon as the dough is formed, take it out and place it on a marble surface.
- Take a rolling pin and roll the dough out to about a quarter of an inch in thickness. Take a cookie cutter, and cut the dough into rounds.
- You will need two rounds per donut. Add 1/2 teaspoon of jelly into the center of each round. Take cold water and lightly wet the edges of the rounds. Now place the top half of the round onto the bottom half. Press the top half of the round to the bottom half. Ensure the donuts are sealed tight.
- Place the donuts on a cookie sheet and cover them with a towel until they rise.
- Take out your deep fryer and pour the oil into it. The temperature of the oil must reach 375° F (180° C)
- Add 3 or four donuts into the deep fryer. As they become golden brown, turn them over to brown the other side.
- Once both sides are golden brown, take them out of the fryer and place on a rack to drain and cool.
Using vegetable oil for the deep fryer is acceptable.
Don't forget to check all the ingredients are kosher when cooking for Hanukkah.