A sweet pancake like dessert from Austria usually served with plum compote or apple sauce and sugar.
3 egg (separated)
1 c flour (all purpose)
1 T sugar
1 c milk
5 dr vanilla extract
1⁄2 t salt
1⁄4 c butter
confectioner's sugar (to dust)
- Mix egg yolks, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, milk and flour to form a semi-liquid batter.
- Beat the egg whites thoroughly until stiff peaks form.
- Incorporate the egg whites to the batter.
- Heat butter in a pan until it melts. Add the batter and cook as if it was a pancake on low heat.
- Turn to cook on the other side. Do not worry if it breaks.
- When it is nearly done, add the raisins, if using.
- Tear the pancake with two spoons and finish cooking.
- Sprinkle confectioner´s sugar on top and serve.
Serve with plum compote (zwetschkenroester) or apple sauce.