Brugoo is a spicy stew made with meat and vegetables. It dates back to frontier days when it was often made with deer and squirrel.
- Combine the water, chicken stock, and crushed tomatoes in a pot and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beef and chicken pieces to the pot and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add the chicken to the pot, bring back to the boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in the casserole dish and the chopped onion to the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the lima beans, corn, okra, carrots, curry powder, sugar, and pepper to the pot. Return the mixture to boiling, and then reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until all vegetables are cooked through and tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
This solid stew can be made with other meats and more vegetables can be added.
Some recipes for burgoo will brown the meat and fry the onion.