A very sticky South African treat originated from the Mlayan cuisine.
Prepare the syrup
- Place water and sugar in a pan and heat over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then add the cinnamon stick.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, cool down to room temperature and chill, preferably overnight.
Prepare the batter
- Sift flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Cut butter into the flour.
- Add the sugar and beaten eggs and mix until a dough has formed.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
Sahpe and cook
- Roll the dough until 2/3 of an inch thick. Cut rectangles about 3 inches x 2 inches.
- Cut each rectangle into 3 strips but leaving them sitll joined at one end. Plait the strips and secure the loose end with a little beaten egg.
- In a deep fryint pan, heat oil until very hot. Deep fry koeksisters until golden brown.
- Remove koeksisters from the frying pan with a slotted spoon and dip them into the chilled syrup.
- Remove from the syrup and place in a tray. Leave them to dry until they can be picked up by hand.
Don't crowd the pan when deep frying the koeksisters. Work by batches.