A Korean dish used for festivities that when presented with bulgogi makes a main meal. Equally you can have it on its own as a side dish.
- Boil the noodles so that they're al dente then rinse in cold water.
- Meanwhile, flash fry each of the vegetables separately and do the same with the beef and mushrooms together.
- Beat then fry the egg without stirring and cut it into pieces.
- Mix soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil to make a sauce, cover the noodles with it, and then begin to pan fry.
- Eventually add the other ingredients to the pan to warm up. Season with more sauce if necessary.
- Serve straight away.
Japchae can be served topped with chopped or sliced egg, or place the cooked egg on the top as decoration. Other vegetables can be used to make japhae.
The key to a great japchae is cooking the ingredients separately.