A lattice top crust will give that fancy touch to ther dessert so you can use this recipe for a special time.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (175°C).
- In a large bowl combine apple slices, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and lemon juice. Place mixture into pie crust.
- On a lightly floured surface roll remaining pastry dough and cut into strips. Place strips on top of apple pie making a crisscross pattern.
- Mix the egg yolk and water in a small bowl and lightly brush the top of the pie.
- Bake for approximately 45 minutes.
- Serve warm topped with custard or whipped cream.
Cooking apples are less swee and this recipe comes out better whith apples that have a some zest, let them be cooking or table apples. Try different varieties such as Granny Smith or other tart apples. This recipe will serve 6 to 8 people.