More elaborate than a simple bake, but the results are worth and very satisfying.
2 T butter
6 leek (small to medium, washed and sliced)
2 T flour (use cornstarch, for a gluten free recipe)
2 c milk
2 T cheese (grated)
seasoning (salt and pepper to taste)
1 pn nutmeg (grated)
1 pie crust (enough pastry to line one 8 inch pie pan, top and bottom)
- Melt the butter over a moderate heat. Add th sliced leek and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Leek should be translucent.
- Stir in the flour and cook for a further minute. Pour in the milk, stirring continuously, and cook until it boils.
- Remove from heat, season, and mix in the grated cheese.
- Beat the two egg yolks and blend in a little of the hot sauce, then pour this mixture back into the leek and sauce pan. Stir to mix well. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (200° C).
- Line one 8-inch pie pan with pastry.
- Pour in the cooled leek sauce.
- Roll out the rest of the pastry and cover the pie. Make a cut on the top to let the steam out.
- Bake on the middle rack for 25 minutes, until the top crust is golden brown.
For a gluten free recipe use a gluten free pie crust or bake the filling in a pie dish with no crust.