A ketchup particularly good with shrimp and white fish.
6 lemon (peeled)
1⁄3 c salt
3 T shallot (finely chopped)
1 clv garlic (optional, peeled, grated or finely chopped)
1⁄2 T mace (ground)
1 t clove (whole cloves crushed)
2 T ginger (ground)
3 1⁄2 c vinegar (white wine vinegar)
1 t cayenne pepper
2⁄3 c horseradish (freshly grated)
- Thinly slice lemons, and rub them in the salt.
- Place the lemons, shallots, garlic and the spices into a jar, reserving a bit of the mace and ginger for later.
- Add the horseradish.
- Bring the vinegar to a boil, stir in the reserved mace and ginger, boil rapidly 5 minutes.
- Pour over the salted lemons.
- Cover lightly and allow to cool.
- Close jar tightly and refrigerate for 6 months.