Lamb steaks in a potato crust, a sophisticated main course for two that is easier than it looks.
- Season the meat with salt, pepper and herbs de Provence.
- Season the grated potatoes and mix with the egg yolk. Press the potato mix around the meat to make a crust.
- Heat the oil in a pan. Cook the crusted meat 4 minutes each side. Keep warm.
- Deglaze the pan with the balsamic vinegar and wine. Simmer until the liquid is slightly reduced, about 3-4 minutes. Check the seasoning.
- Slice the lamb and serve the slices in crust with the sauce around.
Steamed cabbage or tender stem broccoli are a great accompaniment for this lamb in crust.
If you don't have the tools to grate the potatoes very thin, make a crust from potato mash. Peel and dice them, cook in salted boiling water until tender, then drain and mash. Rectify seasoning and mix in the egg yolk. Press around the meat.