Substitute mashed potatoes with cauliflower mash for a shepherd's pie dish that is low in carbohydrates.
1 lb beef (ground beef)
1⁄2 onion (finely chopped)
1 pk cauliflower (10 oz package frozen cauliflower)
2 T cream
4 oz cheese (coarsely grated Cheddar cheese)
seasoning (salt and pepper to taste)
- Brown ground meat and onion as usual, drain.
- Spread meat and onion in the bottom of pie dish evenly.
- Cook cauliflower according to package directions, drain.
- Whip together cauliflower, 2 tbsp heavy cream, and cream cheese as if whipping mashed potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper to your liking and spread whipped cauliflower over the meat layer in the dish.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese across the top. Bake at 350° F for 15 - 20 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbling.
Vary the flavor with other seasonings and spices than just salt and pepper.