With this recipe, the macaroni and cheese get crunch from the toasted wheat germ. That is the diffference with other macaroni cheese recipes.
2 T butter (or margarine, plus a little more for pan)
4 T flour (all purpose)
2 c milk
6 oz cheese (coarsely grated Cheddar )
3 oz cheese (coarsely grated Swiss cheese)
2 pn salt
- In a large pan, bring water to a boil over high heat. Add the macaroni. Cook for 10-12 minutes, or as long as recommended on the package. When the pasta is cooked, drain it and then put it back in the pan. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter on low heat. Whisk in the flour and continue to cook 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture bubbles lightly. Do not brown.
- Slowly add the warm milk to the pan, stirring vigorously, and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Add the Cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, and salt to the pot. Keep stirring until all the cheese melts.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (170°C)
- Grease the baking dish with butter or spray with vegetable oil cooking spray.
- Add the cheese sauce to the cooked pasta. Mix to coat the macaroni well in the sauce. Place the pasta in the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with toasted wheat germ.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until surface starts to get color, on the middle rack. Remove and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.