Mac 'n' cheese is pure comfort food. Real, homemade macaroni and cheese can actually be delicious and surprisingly good for you, especially with whole grain pasta. Just take it easy on the cheese and skip the cream.
- Cook the macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and return to pan.
- In a frying pan melt the butter and add the onion and pepper. Gently cook for approximately 4 minutes. Add this mixture to the macaroni, along with the paprika.
- In a separate pan heat the milk on low.
- Add a little milk and corn flour to a small bowl and whisk until dissolved. Add this mixture to milk and whish over low heat until thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the cheese and whisk for another 2 minutes until melted.
- Add this mixture to macaroni and mix well. Heat together gently for 2 minutes, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Ready to serve!
Before serving, garnish with a handful of parsley, finely chopped, if you wish. A little veggies and herbs here and there make a difference.
And if you want to make it with plain pasta, not whole wheat, make it in advance, let it cool down and reheat when it is time for dinner - you can spread some grated cheese and heat the macaroni cheese in the oven. This makes plain pasta a healthier food.