This Mediterranean tomatoes get a subtle citrus flavor from lemon balm.
- Blend mayonnaise, 2 tsp cream cheese, lemon juice and lemon balm. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture over the tuna and mix with a fork. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut a thick slice at the top of each tomato, reserve to make a lid. Use a spoon to remove the seeds. Distribute the tuna between the tomatoes. Cover with the reserved tops.
- Set one stuffed tomato in the center of each plate.
- Mix the remaining cream cheese and salad dressing and pour on the plates around the tomatoes. Cover with salad leaves, season the leaves with salt and pepper.
- Peel the shell off the eggs and cut each one if four lengthwise. Place 2 egg quarters in each plate.
If you pour the dressing over the salad leaves when you assemble the plate, they will get soggy. It is better to put it underneath.
Use yogurt or sour cream instead of cream cheese.
This recipe will be suitable for a main course if you count 2 tomatoes per person and generally double the quantities.
You could use other herbs instead of lemon balm. Try tarragon, for instance, and use vinegar instead of lemon juice.
If you don't have any prepared salad dressing, whip yours quickly by mixing 2 1/2 Tbs olive oil and 1/2 Tbs vinegar, a pinch of sugar and 1/2 tsp salt.