A traditional dish from the north of Africa and Middle East reinvented. This recipe becomes a whole meal on a single plate, and it is another option for a packed lunch as it can be served warm or at room temperature.
Super Quick Couscous
- Set the couscous in a pan that can go to the microwave or oven and that has a lid. Drizzle with a little olive oil, just a few drops, and mix to prevent the grains from sticking.
- Add salt to the water and heat it to the boiling point.
- Pour the boiling liquid over the couscous, cover and let it stand 5-10 minutes.
- "Dry" the couscous by introducing the covered pan ten minutes in a preheated oven, at medium, or microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power.
- Add the butter and fluff with a fork while the butter melts.
- In a salad bowl set the vinegar, sugar, salt cumin and coriander. Mix. Sugar and salt will begin to dissolve. Add the 8 tablespoons olive oil and mix with a fork or tablespoon until you get the consistency of a vinaigrette.
- Pour the warm couscous into the salad bowl with the dressing and mix
- Drain and wash the garbanzo beans. Defrost the broad beans. Add to the salad bowl.
- Season the ground lamb with salt and pepper and shape it into small meatballs -measure a heaped teaspoon and shape into a ball.
- Heat a frying pan with a tablespoon of olive oil or use an olive oil spray. Lamb usually has plenty of fat on its own. Cook the meatballs - small ones usually cook in two to three minutes. Be sure they are thoroughly cooked.
- Ad to the salad bowl and mix. you can serve immediately or let it rest to blend the flavors. Best served warm or to room temperature.
Heat the liquid in a kettle or in the microwave. If you heat the liquid in the microwave, it should take about two minutes on high. Remember to introduce a plastic spoon or wooden stick, it would help you stirring it afterwards and it is an extra precaution to prevent the liquid from exploding if you overheat it.
For quick cooking, substitute lamb meatballs with ready cooked or frozen turkey meatballs, just follow the package coking instructions.
If you don't have them, substitute fava or broad beans with shelled edamame. Some people do not care much for cold meatballs, if you plan to serve this salad chilled, try to used cooked chicken breast.