Mushroom ketchup goes well with fish, chicken, meats, or pasta.
2 lb mushroom (fresh mushrooms)
1 T salt (coarse salt)
2 shallot (chopped)
1 c vinegar
1 lf bay leaf
1⁄4 T nutmeg (ground or freshly grated)
1⁄4 c brown sugar (unrefined)
1 t ginger (optional, grated)
1⁄2 t pepper (white pepper)
- Slice the mushrooms into thin slices. Mix with the salt. Cover bowl with the sliced mushrooms with a kitchen towel and let stand at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Transfer mushrooms to a pot and add all the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer uncovered, over low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaf, and finely blend the remaining ingredients in a food processor.
- While still hot, transfer the mushroom ketchup to sterilized storage jars and seal.
- Move to a cool storage place and leave to settle for about two weeks before using
Once opened, store in a refrigerator.
1 hour, 50 minutes