These no-bake layered bars are one of Canada's favorite sweet treats.
- In a double boiler, over hot water, place 1/2 cup butter, sugar, egg vanilla extract and cocoa. Stir mixture until slightly thickened and it looks like a custard. Remove from heat.
- Mix in Graham cracker crumbs, coconut, cocoa powder and chopped walnuts.
- Put the mixture in a greased 9-inch square pan and press down.
- Mix 1/4 cup butter, milk, confectioner's sugar and custard powder. Spread this mixture over the first layer.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes.
- Melt the semi sweet chocolate chips in the microwave oven and very slowly stir in 1 tablespoon of butter until just blended. Spread the melted chocolate over the second layer.
- Refrigerate and cut into bars.
To make it easier, you can cut into the chocolate while is still warm and then refrigerate to cut completely the bars when set.