Neapolitan pizza is the most basic of all versions. Pizza does not come simpler than this. Make first traditional pizza dough or get a prepared one. Now, onto the pizza!
- Be sure you have a pizza base ready.
- Grate the Parmesan and slice the Mozzarella.
- Crush the garlic.
- Dice half the tomatoes finely and puree the rest for 30 seconds in a blender with the garlic and half the olive oil.
- Brush the pizza base with the rest of the oil.
- Spread tomato sauce, then the tomatoes onto the dough, then top with cheeses and spices.
- Cook at 450°F/230°C for about 10-15 minutes.
Brushing a littl olive oil over the pizza base keeps it crunchier, preventing the tomato sauce from soaking into the dough.
If you don't have a can of plum tomatoes, spread tomato paste onto the pizza base and top with some tomato slices, fresh tomato.
Most of us have just an ordinary oven and that is fine, but the results turn out best when you have a brick oven.
Traditional ingredients to add to pizza are anchovy fillets, sliced olives, other types of cheese, sliced mushrooms. Going fancier, try cooked spinach, sliced onion, sliced peppers, and other vegetables. For a pizza with meat, try pepperoni slices and cooked ham.