Pain perdu It is similar to a French toast. The French who arrived to Louisiana from Canada brought this recipe with them.
8 sli bread (day old French bread, thick slices)
3⁄4 c milk
2 egg (beaten)
1 T confectioner's sugar (plus some more for dusting)
2 T orange juice
1 t vanilla extract
1 c strawberries (washed, stems removed, sliced)
- Whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, orange juice, and vanilla extract in a shallow bowl.
- Dip the slices of bread into the milk and egg mixture so that the bread soaks up some of the mixture.
- Heat a little butter on a skillet until it melts.
- Fry the soaked bread pieces until golden on one side; about 2 minutes.
- Turn the bread over and fry the other side until also golden, about 1-2 minutes more.
- Place two slices of pain perdu on each plate with some sliced strawberries on top. Dust with confectioner’s sugar and serve.