This onion pie, or onion tart, is ideal for lunch or supper, this onion pie will work as main course, as well, after a filling appetizer such as a bean or lentil soup.
pastry (plain pastry, enough for an 8 inch pie dish)
2 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 1⁄2 onion
2 egg yolk
1⁄4 c cream (light cream)
seasoning (salt and pepper to taste, white pepper)
nutmeg (freshly ground)
- Heat butter and olive oil until butter melts. Add onion, cover and cook slowly for 20-30 minutes, until the onions are translucent and soft rather than browned. Leave to cool.
- Heat the oven and to 400º F (200º C) and line a 8-in pie dish with pastry and leave to chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Cook the pastry case blind and remove from the oven. Lower the oven temperature to 350° F (175° C)
- Mix together eggs, egg yolks and cream in a bowl. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper. Stir to mix well.
- Pour into the pastry case and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake in the middle rack for 20-25 minutes, until golden and set.
1 hour, 20 minutes