A tropical fruit ketchup good with spring rolls, shrimp, palm hearts, crab fritters, hot dogs.
2 T cooking oil
1 T butter
1⁄2 onion (sliced thin)
1 T ginger (minced)
2 papaya (large, ripe, peeled and cut into chnks)
1⁄2 c vinegar (cider vinegar)
1⁄4 c water
1⁄2 c sugar
1 pn clove (ground)
2 pn allspice (ground)
1⁄2 t hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Toss in the onion and ginger.
- Reduce heat to medium, cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the papaya, cooking an additional 4 minutes.
- Add the cider vinegar, water, sugar, cloves, allspice and the hot sauce, bring this to just a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Puree in a food processor until smooth.
- Allow to cool completely.
For more flavor, add 1 clove of garlic, minced, with the onion and ginger.