Goes well with cheese sandwiches, particularly blue cheese and grilled Asiago sandwiches, chicken, duck.
- In a small pan over medium heat, melt butter and sauté the pears for 2 minutes.
- Add onion and continue sautéing for an additional 5 to 7 minutes or until the pears have softened but not turned color.
- Remove from the heat allow to cool. Place the cooled pears in a food processor with salt, pepper, rosemary, vinegar, and sugar, puree.
- Return the mixture to the pan, add the star anise and bay leaf. Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of ketchup.
- Remove the ketchup from heat and set aside to cool for 1 to 2 hours.
- Discard the bay leaf and star anise and taste - if the pears used were too sweet, you may want to add another ½ tablespoon of vinegar.
Estimated preparation time does not include cooling time.
If the pears are medium sized or small, add more pears.