A delicious spread popular in The South of the United States. This is the basic recipe.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Cover and chill for a few hours.
- Serve with toasted bread, crackers, or celery boats.
Diced pimento is sold in jars in the USA. It can be substituted with roasted red sweet pepper, cooled, skin, stem, and seeds removed, and diced.
This is a basic recipe you will find many variations, nearly as many as cooks in The South. Apart from varying adding a little more or a little less of any of the ingredients, try one or morel of these following variations.
- vary the type of cheese, or mix different types of cheese, including cream cheese
- add onion, such as grated red or Vidalia onion, or sliced green onions
- chopped chili, or substitute part of the sweet pepper with roasted chili, chopped
- chopped fresh herbs such as parsley, dill, coriander
- spices such as coriander seed, ground cumin, chili powder
- vinegar or lemon juice
- mustard, powder, dijon, or grainy mustard
- horseradish or hot sauce
- chopped nuts, especially pecans