Pomegranate ketchup goes well with chicken, venison, hot dogs, pork medallions, pork ribs.
1 c vinegar (white wine vinegar)
1 1⁄2 pce cinnamon (cinnamon sticks, broken)
1 1⁄2 t clove (whole cloves)
1 t celery seed
24 pomegranate (medium sized, without the skin)
1 onion (medium sized, chopped)
2 pn cayenne pepper
1 c sugar
1⁄4 t salt (or to taste)
- In a saucepan, mix together vinegar, cinnamon, cloves an celery seed. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let stand.
- Mash the pomegranates and push through a sieve to remove seeds. Drain, reserving the pulp, discarding the liquid.
- Place pulp into a large pot. Add the onion and cayenne and bring to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Push through a food mill, reserving liquid. Mix the juice with the sugar and bring to just a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, for up to 2 hours, until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Strain the vinegar mix, adding the liquid to the pomegranate juice. Discard the spices.
- Add the salt, bring back to a simmer for 30 minutes, stir often.
- When ready, allow to cool and serve at room temperature.
Pomegranate ketchup will keep for a week refrigerated.
2 hours, 35 minutes