Barbecue in North Carolina is pork, and in the western style it is pork shoulder with a sauce made with tomato ketchup and vinegar.
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the pork on all sides for 3- minutes. Move to a Dutch oven.
- In a saucepan, mix the ketchup, cider vinegar, garlic powder, sugar, salt and cayenner pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the pork and cover the Dutch oven.
- Bake for 2 hours, or until the meat is starting to separate from the bone. Spoon the sauce over the meat a few times while it cooks.
- Remove the meat from te Dutch oven and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Once the meat has rested, shred it with a fork or pull it into bite size pieces.
- Season to taste and add more cider vinegar or hot sauce if required.
You can serve the meat with coleslaw, hush puppies, and baked beans or serve the meat as a pulled pork sandwich in hamburger buns.
The meat can be prepared one day ahead.