A savory, tasty and thick bisque from down under.
500 g prawns (uncooked, peeled and deveined, shells reserved)
1 T cooking oil (peeled and chopped)
1 onion (medium sized, chopped)
1 carrot (peeled and chpped)
1 celery (chopped)
6 spr parsley
2 lf bay leaf
1⁄2 t thyme (dried thyme)
10 pepper (black peppercorns, crushed)
2 T tomato paste
1⁄2 c flour (plain wheat flour)
1⁄2 c wine (dry white wine)
10 c water
1 stock cube (optional, crumbled, fsih or vegetable stock)
1⁄3 c cream
- In a saucepan big enough, heat the oil.
- While stirring constantly add the three vegetables and shells until lightly browned.
- To the mixture, add the herbs and spices along with the flour and tomato paste, still stirring until mixed adequately.
- Stir in the wine water and stock cube until a thicker consistency is observed.
- Leave uncovered for 30 minutes with the heat reduced, removing excess on the surface when done.
- Strain the soup through a sieve and when reheating add the cream before mixing.
- Add poached prawns and serve immediately.