A traditional Canadian pie, from a homemade recipe, that's choc full of goodness.
1 c butter (unsalted, in 1/2 inch cubes and refrigerated)
1 1⁄2 t salt
1 t sugar
1 lb beef (ground or minced)
1⁄4 onion (grated)
1 c water
1⁄2 t pepper
1⁄4 t nutmeg
- Combine the flour, a teaspoon of salt, and sugar in the food processor, then cube by cube add the butter while blending.
- Add the ice water by the tablespoon, blending until the mixture clumps.
- Knead the dough a bit and form two discs, wrapping each in cling film and refrigerate them for an hour.
- Take one disc out, rest it briefly and line the sides and bottom of a pie plate with it.
- Sprinkle the potato over the pie crust.
- After preheating the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, we boil the meat, onion, water, salt and pepper until the meat loses its pink color.
- We then add the rest of the spices for a few more minutes.
- When the water has evaporated, we use the created filling to fill the pie, covering it with the other doughy disc.
- Seal the dough's edges and cook for 15 minutes, then reducing the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and cooking for a further 35.
- Let rest briefly before serving.
1 hour, 20 minutes