Ratatouille is a very handy recipe to make the best of eggplant and other vegetables. This recipe is flavored with Mediterranean herbs.
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven (or a saucepan), heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add the garlic and onions. Cook, stirring often so not to burn,, until softened, about 6 - 7 minutes.
- Add eggplant, stir until coated with oil. stir in peppers. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to keep vegetables from sticking.
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, and herbs, mixing well. re-cover and cook over a low heat until eggplant is tender but not too soft, about 15 minutes
If you wonder what to do with leftovers, apart from the obvious reheat and eat, try:
- Place in a buttered dish oven, top with mashed potato, sprinkle grated cheese on top. Call it grilled eggplant pie or ratatouille Parmentier,
- Use the leftover ratatouille as filling for a quiche or savory tart.
- Make a ratatouille Cornish pasty or a ratatouille empanada.
- Layer lasagna sheets and ratatouille, cover with cheese sauce, cook in the oven at 375°F for about 30 minutes - or follow instructions for lasagna - and call it vegetable lasagna.