Onions and cheese, different varieties, are one of the most popular flavor combinations. The magic still works when it is onions and goat cheese as in this recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onions and sauté over low heat for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the thyme, salt and pepper, if using, and sauté for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to 375° F.
- Unroll the ready pastry and cut it into four rounds. Flatten the rounds and score a border inside the edge of each round.
- Now divide the onion mixture among the four rounds and top with an even amount of goat's cheese.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg.
- Bake in a hot oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve with a green side salad.
Bake quiche and onion tart style, or fold in half as you would do with a Cornish pasty.